The Letter D

Just a small insight into the letter D and his life.

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Today's word is Day

day ( P ) (d)
(d)n. The period of light between dawn and nightfall; the interval from sunrise to sunset.
The 24-hour period during which the earth completes one rotation on its axis. The period during which a celestial body makes a similar rotation. Abbr. D One of the numbered 24-hour periods into which a week, month, or year is divided. The portion of a 24-hour period that is devoted to work, school, or business: an eight-hour day; a sale that lasted for three days. A 24-hour period or a portion of it that is reserved for a certain activity: a day of rest.
A specific, characteristic period in one's lifetime: In Grandmother's day, skirts were long. A period of opportunity or prominence: Every defendant is entitled to a day in court. That child will have her day. A period of time in history; an era: We studied the tactics used in Napoleon's day. The day of computer science is well upon us. days Period of life or activity: The sick cat's days will soon be over.

Day. It's such a simple word perhaps that is why it is only three letters long? Yet, you would think that such a simple word would have an equally simple definition, no? Yet judging by Webster definition above you can see that is not the case. Why is that?

Perhaps we, as humans, try to overly simplify things so that we can spend less time on them? Better yet, perhaps we simplify them because we can not understand them so we must simplify them or suffer brain freeze or something as equally nasty?

Don’t get me wrong, a Day can be very complicated. We’ve all had those days where they seem to go on forever and al we want it to do is be over with. Just want the day to be over with…. How funny is it then that as I enter into what is most certainly the later half of my life, more and more I do not want the day to end? I have become acutely aware of my mortality recently…something I think I failed to even admit to myself. Certainly to no one else….except you here of course.

I am not certain when I crossed over from the point of thinking I had plenty of time to the place I am now where each day is precious and can not be lived again. Well, unless you get stuck in Groundhog Day that is! There was a time that I can recall in the dimmest recesses of my mind when the age of Twenty seemed a life time away. I was young, I was free, it was the 70’s and I had my whole life ahead of me. Now the age of Fifty is all too close it seems…far closer than I would like for it to be. The years seems to pass with increasing swiftness these days as one day blurs into another and then into weeks and months.

I read once, though I forget where now, that time does pass faster as you get older. No, it’s true. When you’re young, your brain secretes a chemical and as you get older it produces less and less of this chemical and that makes time appear to go by faster. If I could harness that chemical, reproduce it and put it in a pill I think I might one day be richer than even Bill Gates. How wonderful it would be to have a day last forever again as it did when I was a child. To start each day as if it would last a week. To fight going to bed because the day was still young even if the stars were out and the sky was dark. To see the world as I did when I was a child and to know that I still had my whole life ahead of me.

Maybe some day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home