The Letter D

Just a small insight into the letter D and his life.

Name:
Location: United States

Monday, September 20, 2004

Hair Today...gone tomorrow

Main Entry: 1de·sire
Pronunciation: di-'zIr, dE-
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): de·sired; de·sir·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French desirer, from Latin desiderare, from de- + sider-, sidus heavenly body
transitive senses
1 : to long or hope for : exhibit or feel desire for
2 a : to express a wish for : REQUEST b archaic : to express a wish to : ASK
3 obsolete : INVITE
4 archaic : to feel the loss of

Todays posting will deal with definitions 2 & 4:

From the trials of teenage hood to the pit falls of parenthood. My little Princess has, for the past 6 months (at least) desired a haircut. Not just any haircut mind you, she specifically wants her hair to be as short as her brothers. Her brothers all have haircuts that leave the average length of their hair about a half inch long. Trying to explain to a 7 years old that she can not have a boys haircut is like trying to explain to a wall the meaning of life. That is assuming you even knew what the meaning of life was in the first place.

Call me old fashioned but I have always loved my daughter’s long hair. It’s a rich golden color with highlights of blonde and darker shades of brown. Her hair, while not curly like my own does have an excessive waviness to it that when brushed looks so very cute. Little girls should have long hair. Granted that is just my personal preference but as she is my daughter, it’s my preferences that matter. There’ll be plenty of time when she’s older that she’ll be able to cut her hair however she wants to. Now it’s my time…or so I thought.

As you can well imagine, when Princess first asked for the short haircut, I wrote it off to the fancy of a 6 year old. Short attention span and all I assumed that the matter was done. I suspect she’s had coaching from her mother in regards to this matter as the topic kept coming up. Each time Princess was equally adamant about the shortness of her hair.

While the logical side of me can understand this wish for shorter hair the other side of me wants nothing to do with it. Her mother does not take care of her hair and hence it is often full of tangles and such. Sitting down for two hours while I comb out all the tangles is not Princesses idea of fun…mine either for that matter. That and the constant need to remove hair from eyes and mouth all the time are all the logical reasons which I understand.

Well, Saturday, after more than 6 months I finally gave in and allowed her to get her hair cut short. It was almost physically painful watch the long strands hit the floor at the salon. In case you’re wondering, I have the remains of her very first haircut as a baby safely tucked away in a zip-lock bag. So, now my Princess is sporting a very, very short bob hair cut. I have to admit, she does look very cute with it. Still, I miss her long hair. One of these days I’ll learn to say no to her.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daddy learning to say No to his princess? hehehehe... heheheheheeeeeee.... (Quicksilver)

11:37 PM  
Blogger D said...

Hey! It could happen...maybe....

11:35 AM  
Blogger Just Me said...

Congratulations, daddy for recognizing that your daughter is a wee person in her own right. :) Besides, trust me on this, if you hadn't let her cut her hair, she would have found a way to do it herself. That would have been a fine mess.

3:56 PM  
Blogger D said...

Her brother, the youngest, tried doing that to himself using my beard trimmer. You can still see where he did the buzz job! :-)

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home