The Letter D

Just a small insight into the letter D and his life.

Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

D Day +1

Today's "D" word is: Donation
Main Entry: do·na·tion Pronunciation: dO-'nA-sh&nFunction: nounEtymology: Middle English donatyowne, from Latin donation-, donatio, from donare to present, from donum gift; akin to Latin dare to give -- more at DATE: the act or an instance of donating : as a : the making of a gift especially to a charity or public institution b : a free contribution : GIFT

That is according to Webster. I, however have a different definition for the word.

Do-nation: (pronounced doe-nation) [Let's work this backwards shall we?]

Nation: A community of people composed of one or more similarities
Doe: a cute animal that bears a striking resembalnce to a terrified statue a few split seconds before it is introduced to the front grill of your speeding vehicle as you fly down that country road.

By now I'm sure you're scratching your head in confusion as to just what I am talking about. Let me see if I can explain it for you without putting you to sleep.

In the gaming world we play on servers. You get anywhere from 5-64 people together on one server and have at it. It's lots of fun...unless you're the poor bloke paying for the server. [MC] currently runs about 20 servers across the different games we support. For the past 2 1/2 years we've paid for these servers through donations from our members as wellas renting servers out to other groups. Every month I send out an email to everyone telling them how much we need their donation to keep the servers up and running. Our current monthly server bill is about $1300.00. Some months are good and we get the donations. Other months are bad and I or someone else steps up to make up the difference. Well, the last 4 consectutive months have been bad. Bad enough to eat up any and all reserves.

Back on topic. I can't help but seeing the majority of our members as I described in doenation. You mention the fact that they may actually have to go without a bigmac once a month and they give you that look....like a doe caught in the headlights of an on-coming truck.

To give you a better understanding of my frustration, of nearly 700 members, fewer than 5% donated last month. I guess it's time to go water money tree in the backyard and hope it will sprout some $50's and $20's real soon.

On a different matter. Some may wonder why the letter D. Several reasons. Playing on line my "Official" name is [MC] Sgt. D`Organizer. A play on words in two senses. One, I organize everything. Two, I play shooting games and to deorganize someone with a shotgun at close range is a blast..in more ways than one. :-). Within [MC] as well as the various gaming communities I am active in, my name usually gets shortened to [MC] Sgt. D. Still, for those that know me and talk with me through email or over our voice communication server, I am simply known as D. I usually sign my emails with just the letter D. To lazy to type out the entire name I guess. You try going through 600 emails a day and see how quickly you shorten you name as well! :-P

OK, so it's time to work now. May post some more tongiht...may not. I guess you'll just have to check back and find out won't you? :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home